The agreement establishes Santander Elavon Merchant Services, 51% of which will belong to Elavon and the remaining 49% to Santander.
Juan Golmayo, named CEO of the joint venture, will lead the organisation’s efforts and has over 20 years experience in the cards industry.
“Santander Elavon Merchant Services will deliver great benefits to business customers of all sizes across Spain, and Juan’s ability to deliver on this opportunity is proven in the marketplace,” said Simon Haslam, President of International Markets for Elavon. “From providing global accounts with a single source provider across their portfolio, to addressing the needs of small business customers, this JV leverages the best that both Santander and Elavon offer,” Haslam said.
As the demand for immediate payments implementation grows in the United States, Iliad Solutions have identified one of the largest risks to face the payments industry over the next few years.
Barclays has signed contracts with six of the fintech startups that just graduated from its second New York accelerator programme.
Company card killer Pleo has raised $3m in new funding as it prepares for public launch in the UK and Denmark.
Cheques are become less and less common in the UK according to new research from global market research firm Mintel which claims contactless card use has overtaken cheque payments in the UK for the first time.